[compost_tea] Using Brix meter & ERGS meter in Costa Rica

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncatark.uark.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:39:26 -0000

Henry K -

Thank you for sharing notes on your
farm practices and brewing methods.

The neat thing about the compost-tea list,
is that is a practitioner's forum... what
has been tried and what works.

Please say a few more things about your
use of refractometer... are you testing
tissue, are you testing harvestable portion,
what kind of Brix readings are you aiming
for, what are some comparative numbers.

Please say a few more things about your
use of the ERGS meter... a regular EC
pocket meter?.... are you testing soil
solution and/or BD preps and how, what kind
of readings are you getting, what are some
comparative numbers.

What kind of BD preps do you employ.

Thanks,

Steve Diver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Henry Karczynski <vanilla_at_r...> wrote:
> Subject: Costa Rica Compost Tea Seminar
>
> I want to correct an omision and and injustice to Bob Norson and his
> Bob-o-later regarding the tea brewers that were mentioned in the
> newspaper article promoting the compost tea seminar in Costa Rica. I
> will be displaying a 50 gallon Bob-o-later brewer that I adapted with
> t-valve and another circular pvc (that I heated to get the curve)
> airline on the bottom of the tank and also a 10 gallon KIS design
> bucket. The unit that the author, Ed Bernhardt, wrote about in his
> article was gleaned from surfing the web and based on his garden's
> needs. I know it's not Sunday, but I am pleased with my adadpted
> Bobolater design.
> Ever since I attended Dr. Ingham's ACT course at my BD buddy's farm,
> Jeff Poppin, in Tennessee in the fall I have been applying the
> following regimen for my fungal based spice plantation; biodynamic
> compost, cow manure earthworm castings with pre-added shredded
cardboard
> and rock powders ( lime and river rock), fish hydrolizate and kelp
> (commercial), molasses (from our sugar cane) and I add fungal leaf
mulch
> from healthy plants into a mesh basket placed into the tank. I apply
> the tea undiluted every week to half the farm with 2 motorized back
pack
> sprayers. I am in contact with two different Costa Rica university
> microbiology departments for a potential Master thesis' student.
> I have also applied ACT 3 times on one of my small vanilla growers
water
> stressed parcels ( whose problem has since disappeared) and I will be
> working with an organic pineapple coop with my ACT. My
plantation is
> healthy with no disease stress. We are using a refractometer and ERG
> meter to monitor results. The ERG meter readings for the biodynamic
> preps were "off the charts" the highest of any of the inputs we add to
> the farm.
> I am a good listener.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: