[compost_tea] Re: Scientists Discover Enzyme Degrades Mad Cow Disease Prion (fwd)

From: dakesian1 <dakesian_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:10:23 -0000

"Phew" is right! Thank God someone found a possible solution. That
is GREAT news!

Rick

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> Look at this! Keratinase is indicated as the enzyme that
decomposes prions! Good old Bacillus licheniformis! This is good
news, because guess what compost abounds in? If you use hair,
feathers, fungal hyphae and other similar materials in the compost,
you are enhancing keratinase! So, compost is a good way to deal
with suspect materials. Phew!

> So, what concentrations needed to make sure 100% reduction? Well,
that needs to be figured out.

> Elaine
>

> In a message dated 1/7/2004 1:31:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
marilyn_at_D... writes:

> > Enzymatic Degradation of Prion Protein in Brain Stem from
Infected Cattle and Sheep"
> > Authors: Jan P.M. Langeveld, Dick F.M. Van de Wiel, G. Jan
Garssen and Alex Bossers, Central Institute for Animal Disease
Control, Lelystad, The Netherlands; Jeng-Jie Wang and Giles Shih,
BioResource International; and Jason C.H. Shih, Dept of Poultry
Science, North Carolina State University
> > Published: Dec. 1, 2003, edition of The Journal of Infectious
Diseases

> > Abstract: Prions – infectious agents involved in transmissible
spongiform encephalopathies – normally survive proteolytic and mild
protein-destructive processes. Using bacterial keratinase produced
by Bacillus licheniformis strain PWD-1, we tested conditions to
accomplish the full degradation of prion protein (PrP) in brain-stem
tissue from animals with bovine spongiform encephalopathy and
scrapie. The detection of PrP^Sc, the disease-associated isoform of
PrP, in homogenates was done by Western blotting and various
antibodies. The results indicated that only in the presence of
detergents did heat pretreatment at >100°C allow the extensive
enzymatic breakdown of PrP^Sc to a state where it is immunochemically
> > undetectable. Proteinase K and 2 other subtilisin proteases, but
not trypsin and pepsin, were also effective. This enzymatic process
could lead to the development of a method for the decontamination of
medical and laboratory equipment. The ultimate effectiveness of this
method of prion inactivation has to be tested in mouse bioassays.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511