[compost_tea] Re: Plum Curculio Response to Elaine

From: dakesian1 <dakesian_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:05:06 -0000

Thanks for the info. Elaine! Learned alot. I know what I need -
FUNGAL GROWTH. I thought I had some but you made it plainly clear
that I don't have enough. I need more. That's why all of you
professionals keep talking so much about fungi in you posts. Duh!

Interesting what you say about my glacial soil being so young.
Never thought about it but it is very young isn't it.

You asked if my plum tree roots went very deeply when I dug the
trees out last year. There were roots that remained after digging a
3 foot hole. Some were pretty thick and went down vertically but
there's no way they went down 20 feet. How far I don't know but the
subsoil was so dense it couldn't have been much farther - could it?

You know Elaine you didn't comment much on my adding bonemeal for
calcium purposes. Is that ok? The wife rarely eats eggs, I don't,
so we hardly ever have eggshells.

I'm on a mission now Elaine - fungi, fungi, fungi!! LOL. (You
found a way to redirect my wackiness - good going.)

I'll be getting fungi foods over the internet and bringing home more
of that forest fungi I see all the time when I walk the dogs in the
woods. Oh my God, I feel a rush of wackiness coming on!

Glad you like the boiled leaf tea concoction. I at least have an
easy homemade way to get fungal food into the soil. I have so many
leftover leaves that I'll have leaf tea until next fall. In fact,
I'll be digging through the snow today and collect more leaves from
the forest and make a fresh batch of tea. I'll sprinkle that stuff
under the trees now. I don't care if it's winter - remember I'm a
wacko. Even though I have enough leaves already - I want more!!

Thanks again for taking the time to help this backyard gardener.
As I said before - you're the "tops" Elaine!

Rick

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: