[compost_tea] Re: Plum Curculio Response to Elaine

From: dakesian1 <dakesian_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:18:02 -0000

Yes Elaine, I will have to seriously think about buying anymore
bonemeal. Glad to hear it is good from a microbiology standpoint.

Also thanks again for switching my mindset towards fungi. In the
last day, I envisioned all the fungus growing in the nearby
forests. Everytime I walk the dogs I could fill a standard plastic
shopping bag with large chunks of fungus growing on fallen trees,
fungus growing in the leaf litter and soil, etc. Come spring I'll
be a fungus collecting wacko!

I remember a fallen old tree that had huge chunks of fungus growing
on the decaying tree trunk. There's so much of that type of fungus
in the nearby forest that I can't believe I never thought of
collecting various fungal growth for brewing in the ACT. (But I'll
be collecting it now.) Heck, maybe I'll collect some today and brew
some ACT for the houseplants.

Take care Elaine, have a nice winter and safe traveling!

Rick

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> Hi again Rick -
>
> You wrote:
> > You know Elaine you didn't comment much on my adding bonemeal
for calcium purposes. Is that ok? The wife rarely eats eggs, I
don't, so we hardly ever have eggshells.

> Bonemeal is fine from a microbiology point of view, although
others have concerns about bonemeal from a prion point-of-view, so
think about that when you buy bonemeal. Maybe getting bonemeal from
a known source instead of the God-only-knows-where-it-came-from-but-
cheapest-source would be a good idea.

> Elaine Ingham
> President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
> SFI Corvallis, OR