RE: [compost_tea] Compost Tea Mud/Sludge

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:58:27 -0800 (PST)

Judi, the "mud sludge" is rich in bacteria and fungi. You want it in your ACT and most of it will end up there if you keep it aerated and in supension by circulation the water with the aeration system. Almost all of it is fine enough to go thru a properly designed application system. The tiny amount of silt left not moving, will not be thick enough to bo anaerobic.

If you want to keep a brew going while you are taking ACT from the brewer there is a way to do that too. Costs more and uses more electirc power but keeps a brewer going for days at a time whle you keep taking ACT and feeding the system. The 'mud' needs to be kept moving and aerated.

Judi Stewart <js_at_olympus.net> wrote:

Bob and list,

If I were to remove the chamber after 2 to 6 or 12 or whatever hours of brewing

and extracting, and the mud/sludge can become anaerobic, why don’t I just siphon off the compost tea to

          another chamber and continue brewing? Then I can use the mud/sludge from my first tank for my next brew and keep the system going.

I think the other way, keeping the one system going while aerating the 'mud' will produce better results with less work, less confusion. Bob

Judi