Re: [compost_tea] Water temps for brewing

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:19:32 EST

there are a couple popints to consider about temp.

1. Organisms grow faster when temperature is warmer. this is the classic
Q10 effect. Respiratory enzymes function more rapidly at higher temperatures.
But look out, that's respiratory enzymes, not all enzymes. some leaf
decomposition enzymes actually break-down leaf litter faster at about 4 C (which is
about 40 F off the top of my head). If you are trying for the greatest
bacterial biomass, then use higher temps. But the beneficial fungi grow better
around 68 F, so I prefer 65 to 70 F for my brews. But then you HAVE to brew for 24
hours to get adequate growth. OR, precondition your compost so the
beneficial fungi are already grown, and all you have to do is extract and maintain
activity in the brew. That's what the whole deal is with Jeff Lowenfel's adding
oatmeal to the compost.

2. Different organisms grow best at different temperatures.
Which organisms are you trying to grow? This is what Ted is getting after
with his thoughts, I believe. More biomass may be produced at 75 F in a shorter
period of time, but is that biomass the best set of organisms for 45 F soil?

Well, the first question to ask here might be, what is the soil temperature
you are going to add the compost tea to? If the tea is going into greenhouse
soil, maybe 75 F is the more appropriate temp for the tea.

So, take-home message is: Try to match the temperature in the tea to the
conditions in the system you are adding the tea to.

OK, I'm signing off for the rest of my vacation! Skiing Park City was great!
 The Canyons, not so great. I am not thrilled with skiing trails that are
roads in the summer time. But tomorrow, Deer Valley!

Elaine
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic