[compost_tea] Re: Water temps for brewing

From: hi_yield1 <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:33:54 -0000

Ted,
Give it up you will never win the battle. Why? Arbitrary values!! To
many variables and far to much wiggle room to ever be right! SFI
standards you will never meet. Unless every batch of tea you brew is
sent in tested and consulted on. Then and only then will you have
SFI's blessings. By then you'll be broke but "accepted"! What you are
doing in the field and your common sense approach makes more sense
than most of what I've read coming from the Techies in their sterile
isolated environment they call the Lab. Take care Hi_Yield1.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Ted Peterson" <ted.peterson_at_t...>
wrote:
> [...]
You need to use a buffered physiological solution, like physiological
saline, or phosphate buffer, or citrate buffer.
> >> Will do. I actually have some saline but wasn't sure exactly
how to use it.

> So, great that you look at all of them, but this is where you
really need the ability to assess activity. Many of the hyphae in
soil are not active, and can be "left-over" from a long time ago.

> >> Well I should have more accurately stated that I look at the
soil and determine frequency of organisms. When I brew, I check for
frequency or organisms and how they group. I can't tell what type
they are only that they are there. I look at this frequency then I
look to see how this frequency transfers to the soil. I don't test
immediately but wait a while. I can only get trends, of course, but if
those trends can be repeated with regularity, I feel more confident.

> I can't even be sure that two batches of tea are the same. I can,
of course, shoot for diversity but even with the best compost, I can't
be sure of total similarity from batch to batch. So I have to rely on
trends. If I see certain bodies in my tea and they transfer to the
soil and the plant analysis comes back showing improved use of
nutrients and the soil food web is established, I have to think what I
am doing is working and repeatable to a degree.

> You need to distinguish actinobacteria hyphae from oomycetes, from
ascomycete, from basidiomycete. All based on morphology of course.
Some training would be a good idea, since these things are not usually
pointed out in text books.

> >> I'm not against training but, quite frankly, do not have the
resources to throw myself or someone else into a training program
which, I figure, would cost me somewhere in the range of $25K without
the $20K microscope. I have to pay the person taking the training,
pay for the training and compensate for the time they are not here
generating capital.

> Or have him look at the samples, and send a sample into SFI, and
then he can see what we saw, and learn something from the interaction
that way?

> >> Good idea. He right now has developed a formula to try and
predict how many more and the complexity of organisms he is plotting
to see if he can predict growth from sample time to sample time.

> Not quite sure how to take this response from you. Hopefully you
are just kidding me?

> >> Yes, of course. It's like the person who said: "You are very
difficult to argue with because you keep refuting my arguments with
facts."

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511