Re: [compost_tea] Re: Recent posts

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:04:00 -0800

Egad Hi_Yield. I could take any conventional input and list a whole lot mo=
re precautions than those for simple ACT. As an example, take any chemical=
 input and just type in the warning label.

Yes there are some things to be concerned with and it is an error to think =
that ACT is the same as Erlich's magic bullet.

ACT allows you to multiply certain bacteria and fungi in your compost and a=
pply it in a different form than the compost. Period. This form has shown=
 certain benefits among them disease prevention. Not cure mind you but pre=
vention.

The people involved, for the most part, on this list are seeking alternativ=
es to an agribusiness system that is slowly ruining not only our current cr=
op output but future output as well. They are trying to get "in tune" with=
 natural processes and it is kind of deconstructionist (in the sense that i=
t is kind of post-technology) in mode. So, everything that we "know" about=
 ag is being questioned.

However, don't take all the mumbo-jumbo and misstatements and wrong tangent=
s as an indication that brewing tea is more difficult that putting compost =
in a bucket, feeding it with some sugars and NPK and adding air. That's it=
.

Applying it is also simple: either spray it on the leaves with a hand spray=
er or apply it with a watering can directly to the soil. That's it.

Everything else is a refinement and tweaking of those basic things.

Most of the post I have read on this list are examining the basic process a=
nd trying to find ways to improve something that is emerging as a body of k=
nowledge.

So, relax. Take a deep breath and figure out why you would post such a mes=
sage as this. It is a litany of words taken from post which at least shows=
 that you are reading. Now, you have shown that you understand the words, =
see how you can use that understanding to enlighten not point out that we d=
on't understand. We know that we don't know.

If we understood it all, we wouldn't be on this list. Elaine has done this=
 the longest and even she admits that there are things she is learning. So=
 lighten up.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth