Re: [compost_tea] Black Spot (apple scab)

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:11:32 -0800 (PST)

Please keep the answer on the list many are intested. Bob

Nic Pattison <nicksonstream_at_yahoo.co.nz> wrote:Hi - I am an apple grower in New Zealand certified
organic since 1997. I have followed Dr Ingam and SFI
work since 1999. We now have a SFI Lab here in NZ. I
have been following this link for several weeks and am
learning great new things. We are 4-5 weeks from
harvest (yeah southern hemisphere) and the fruit size
and tree health is good. I have had a 2000l (400gal)
brewer up and running for the season and lab testing
shows we are making pretty useful AACT but our active
bacteria is not so great and I understand we really
need active bacteris for foliar application aiming for
black spot control. I have only used 3 or 4 sulphur
sprays this season (some growers have applied 20+!)
and i have 1-2% scab which is fine but I really want
to protect my crop now to harvest with CT. I would
hugely appreciate any help from the goup and
particularly apple growers on hints for improving my
tea brews. Elaine has seen the prototype of my brewer
(Graham Reid - Eco Logic) and approved in principle
and the CT is testing consistently at the SFI lab plus
we have continued to tweak it for more air etc. so
confident in the brewer. Starting materials based on
vermicast innoculated showing good visual evidence of
fungi. Love to hear your ideas - direct if you prefer
not to burden others on the list if this subject has
been done to death previously.
Thanks
Nick Pattison