Re: [compost_tea] Direct microscopic methods[WAS(Re: Water temps for brewing)]

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:41:43 -0500

Hi Dennis -

The epi-flourescent microscope is only needed if you want to be precise and accurate. If you just want a general idea of "no one home", "not-good", "low", "ok", not-too-bad", "good" and "wow", then a bright field or phase contrast microscope is ok. There are some good ones for $400 to $900.

the epi-flourescent units are really for those of us that want to be at a commercial level. It doesn't do much good to get teh epi-fluorescence without the DIC, which puts you in the $20,000 range.

Which specific scope will you recommend for those methods? Yes
please put me in contact with Sonia in OZ. Thanks again. Dennis

I've e-mailed sonia, and she has the manual about finished. Merline Olson, the OZ Lab Director and I went over the manual today. Just a little more description, and about 10 more pictures needed to illustrate the manual is all that is needed.

The total kit should be about $500 AU, or $350 US, depending on the microscope we use. Stay tuned!

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY