[compost_tea] Re: Teruo Higa article on beneficial and effective microorganisms

From: David Hall <dchall8_at_texas.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:32:54 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> Once a bacterial inoculum has been applied, and the bacteria
survive and grow in that soil, addition of more of that inoculum
will not be beneficial. Survival and growth of inoculated organisms
will occur as long as toxic applications (pesticides and high levels
of inorganic fertilizers are prime examples of these toxic
applications) are not made. If added organisms have survived and
are growing, why do you have to keep applying those organisms?

> If you have to keep applying those bacteria, it means something is
going on, which the grower should recognize.

> One possibility is that the inoculum cannot survive in those
climatic conditions. A second possibility is that toxic
applications are continuing. A third possibility is that
disturbances which kill soil organisms are being used.

------------------------
At the risk of oversimplifying this, does this mean that repeated
applications of the same formula of compost tea are not needed if
the climate, chemicals, and disturbances are in your favor?

I visited an organic ranch last week where the owner spends a lot of
time and money perfecting compost tea. Tea is sprayed at 20 gallons
per acre at grass awakening every "pre-spring" and 5 gallons per
acre three more times during the season. It seems to be the same
formula tea each time. Is all this tea spraying redundant?

David Hall
San Antonio, TX

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: