Re: Salt and Urine (Was Re: [compost_tea] Re: A great raw material for compost

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:06:51 -0500

Hi Ted -

Having raised Golden Retrievers most of my childhood (a total of about 25 animals), I observed both male and female dogs causing brown spots in the grass. We usually had at least one male and one female, and when we bred the female to another male, we had to keep the male separate from the female. Browning occurred in the lawn in both the area with the female and her visitor, and in the lone male run.

The second to the last golden retriever my family had was a male and he caused brown spots in the lawn. It was my job to mow and take care of the lawn that last summer, so I noticed.
The last golden we had was a female, and she caused brown spots too, but not nearly as bad as the male.

So, my own expereince runs counter to what you said about only females causing brown spots. Where did you read, or hear, or see data on just female dogs causing brown spots? I suppose I could be convinced with something really solid to explain my own experiences, but I need to see the data.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY