Re: [compost_tea] SARE/CT

From: Dorothy O'Brien <obriendot_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:24:27 -0800 (PST)

Matthew-- Thanks for posting the Rodale/SARE link.
The report was somewhat encouraging. Most
discouraging was that CT failed to control or prevent
Black Rot, the nemesis of eastern grape growers.

I would be interested to know if the growers
considered other organic remedies in conjunction with
CT. For example, copper and/or baking soda based
sprays. (in succession, not together) Also, Surround,
hydrogen peroxide base?

I have been using a sort of shotgun approach in my
vineyard, alternating CT with these other organic
tools. Some results have been encouraging, but no
replicated studies to support. Another obvious point
is that we find some varieties respond lots better
than others to organic programs. For example,
Chambourcin, a part of the study, is very suscpetible
to Black Rot and other diseases.

Have others on the list succeeded in conquering black
rot? I would be interested in hearing any comments.

Thanks, Dorothy

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511