Re: [compost_tea] Information for Newcomer

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:33:06 -0800

Oh yes, testing. In the early stages, I would suggest you don't test. The=
 formula I gave you has been tested so you don't need to spend the money. =
However, when you use different nutrients or change your brewing cycle subs=
tantially in a way that doesn't come from an accepted or tested recipie, I =
would suggest testing. Better than testing your tea is to test your compos=
t.

I don't know about Jeff's commercial product because I make my own. Ask hi=
m for a compost analysis. I'm sure he has done the footwork and can give y=
ou something that will let you know his stuff is as good as reported. I wou=
ld suggest you learn to make your own also. In the process of building com=
post, you will learn a lot about tea. If you want to use a commercial sour=
ce, Jeff's is at least as good or better (It is probably substantially bett=
er than commercial compost you can buy at a nursery.) as any other. Many p=
eople use worm castings so if you are into vermiculture, you already have a=
 good source of compost. Mine is all custom and I use it to seed other pro=
jects. I know it is highly diverse and very active. It's also expensive so=
 someone really has to want it for me to sell it. It's easier to make you =
own.

If you are interested, send me an email and I will send you some designs fo=
r a passive static compost process I have been working on. I can make tall=
er piles with smaller footprints that I don't need to turn. I use convecti=
on to naturally aerate the pile and it works.

Again about testing. It's expensive. Unless you are going after this as a=
 commercial enterprise and are selling your tea for profit or are involved =
with establishing custom recipies, I don't think you need to test. If you =
use general recipies and brew within alloted cycles, you will get good bact=
erial/fungal numbers in your tea. The testing has been done by others and =
you can be assured you will get results.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth