Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: Re: pump for spraying tea?

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:57:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi Betsy Thanks for the experiment with rollers. My mental picture of centifugal pumps is that they are not a problem if
1 the impeller is smooth. nylon or smooth metal. I have looked at some that have very rough blades. would expect that to be damaging.

2 that the pump size is such that application nozzles will allow near the max capacity of the pump to go thru the pmp.

3) the the flow is either on with high volume or OFF. When Off the pump will affect very little volume.

Some centifugals put out pressure enough to hit the high ones.

Metering to a pivot needs a demand sensitive and adjustable diaphragm. Kinda expensivve but highly reliable, very effective.

I have read specs on demand sensitive diphragm pumps that sound very good. May do some testig on one soon. Bob[.

betsy <betsy_at_rossfarm.com> wrote:
Roller pumps were a real disaster for us. they kept breaking up into little
pieces and stopping up nozzles - after about the 4th or 5th time. We don't
like to strain or filter our tea, so if that is what you are doing, be
careful. what a mess!

we have used piston pumps and the nematodes make it through fine - don't
know about the fungi -, but really, I like the centrifugal. no worry.

Betsy Ross in Texas