Re: [compost_tea] Information for Newcomer

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:07:03 -0800

Quite simply Bob. Baloney. Brewing is easy. Just duct tape some window s=
creen to a pvc pipe, add compost and pump water. It will work. Sell your p=
roduct all you want. Advertise all you want. I wish you success.

So here is my new advice for newcomers. Buy a Bob's brewer. He does more =
self-promotion that anyone else so his product must be better. He must kno=
w what he is talking about because he makes and sells brewers. And, best y=
et, they set records at sfi.

Well, unfortunately, Bob. If your brewers are setting records, it means yo=
u are using good compost. Period. Try a test with all brewers using the sa=
me compost and exactly the same nutrients and exactly the same brewing time=
. I would stack a brewer of my design up against one of yours anytime and =
I would bet our results are similar given similar compost and nutrient mix.=

My least favorite brewer is a Soil Soup but it works and produces numbers. =
 I made a mixing bowl brewer where I just stirred the water and got good ba=
cterial numbers from SFI. They said some of the highest overall numbers th=
ey had seen.

There is no mistique to brewing. I wrote a satyrical email about fools bre=
w. However, that brewer will work. The brewers I design work. They are in=
 the field working. I am not so interested in SFI testing other than to en=
sure I am getting some kind of multiples. The real test comes in the field=
. I test, through A & L in Fresno. I test the soil and leaf assay both be=
fore and after tea application. When I see positive results there, I know =
my tea is working. If I see root growth in turf areas that comports with p=
redictions based on tea usage, I know my tea is working.

Besides, you can have the greatest tea, by numbers, in the world and get no=
thing when you apply it because the soil CEC isn't correct for absorption. =
 What is CEC? I'm sure your brewer compensates for it. Mine, unfortunately=
, doesn't.

This list is about experimentation not about you or anyone else selling bre=
wers. I'm sure they work fine and you have plenty of affidavits from satisf=
ied users. However, you are a manufacturer. You have an ax to grind again=
st anyone selling against you. I am not selling and freely giving advice a=
nd designs. It may mean that people will build those and not buy yours. I=
f that is what happens, so be it. You can always ask me for some designs t=
hen build a brewer and prove that what I am saying is wrong. Until then yo=
ur flagrant self promotion will have to suffice.

Oh yes. My innocent victim. As far as I am concerned, an innocent victim =
is one who purchases a brewer made with window screen and duct tape.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth