Re: [compost_tea] How to Make homemade Fish/Seaweed Emulsions

From: Jeff Young <sharkman_04101_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:08:19 -0800 (PST)

I think I can take a stab at this ; )

Home brew - fish hydrolysate - best method:
Place whole fish (guts, skin, etc.), -ocean fish is best - in a pot and heat to 110 degrees F, and hold this temp for about two hours, stirring as much as possible. When everything is digested (except the bones which won't digest this way), pour the mix over a strainer to remove the un-digested material. Either use this right away or stabilize it (freezing or lowering the pH to 3.5).

Home brew - fish emulsion - least method:
Place whole fish in a sealed container, preferably in the sun, and let it anaerobically digest. Use a good container that won't split or pop its top as this will produce gas, or leave the top off - if you dare.This should take a number of weeks/months. Strain the mix when it is finished. Some manufacturers actually use this exact process.

Best suggestion: Buy a quality fish hydrolysate, Organic Gem or Neptune's. (Can I say this on a non-Sunday?)

Jeff Young
President
Advanced Marine Technologies
49 Hassey Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
Tel: (508) 991-5225
Fax: (508) 991-3033
www.organicgem.org

"Mr." <cnycruzin_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello everyon,

I was wondering if anyone on this site has ever made there own fish
fertilizer (Emulsion). I would love to learn how to

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
Click Here