Re: [compost_tea] Re: 131 degrees Farenheit heated compost for 3 days

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:38:48 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Henry Karczynski
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 7:36 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] Re: 131 degrees Farenheit heated compost for 3 day=

  Re: 131 degrees Farenheit heated compost for 3 days

    This same compost is later used to make aerobic
  compost tea as a vehicle to utilize the compost for fertilization
  and/or disease suppression. "Where's the beef"? As long as we are
  treating the compost according to the NOSB requirements
EPA regs state 130 dF for 15 days plus a number of turnings for biosolids. =
 We have experienced that this will keep pathogens at very low levels. The=
y are basically below EPA (< .02 or ND) ppm. However, this is with biosoli=
ds at about 40% moisture. As soon as the compost is hydrated, the pathogen=
s spike. They can spike which means that even using EPA and British Columb=
ia (the < .02 is British Columbia) there are still pathogens.

Any compost created with any animal waste contains pathogens. Our testing =
of cow, horse, sheep/goat, llama and bat poop all showed pathogens. Our te=
sting of "green" compost also showed pathogens but always at ND where the a=
nimal product showed quite high. These can be minimized through composting=
 but other than sterilizing the compost through a heat process are running =
each and every bit of compost through a UV light like a xenon lamp, you can=
 never get rid of it all.

"Where's the Beef?" it turns out is everywhere. I reiterate that I think o=
ur best bet is to focus on a brewing environment that de-emphasizes pathoge=
ns over aerobes. If this means brewing recommendations at temps below 70 d=
F, we should do that. If we emphasize brewing at temps that favor pathogen=
s, the air (Aerate enough and the pathogens doen't grow.) argument loses we=
ight because we can't be sure that each and every brewer will use the same =
pump at the same volume of air for the same volume of water for the same le=
ngth of time.

I think our best bet is to find the one element that we can control easiest=
. I know in the summer and using small brewers, this will be hard to do bu=
t I don't see any other way to get around the inherent problems with compos=
t. It doesn't seem to matter which food you use. I far as I can tell from=
 my research, (quite a lot actually) if we keep the temps lower than those =
that the pathogens like they simply do not grow and reproduce regardless of=
 the food. However, they do not disappear or die. Like all bacteria, they=
 go to sleep and become inactive unless they are digested. There is no gua=
rantee that the correct, higher order, bacteria will come along (they don't=
 taxi) and wolf down the pathogen. Certain nematodes and protoza can eat t=
he e coli but there is no guarantee that they will be selective towards pat=
hogens when there are millions of asleep and alive bacteria around. They a=
re opportunistic feeders and will eat what is convenient and close.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth