[compost_tea] Fungal growth and soil temperature

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:01:52 -0500

Jeff and all,

Further to Jeff Lownefels's consideration of his results in brewing tea at
60 degrees and 70 or 74 degrees F:

Came across an interesting piece (though it could be better documented) on
Trichoderma. It discusses temperature and growth conditions. An interesting
comment within -- that it colonized more slowly but "ameliorated stress
better", presumably because the plant grew better -- is one I wish they'd
taken the time to elaborate on.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/veg/htms/trichoderma.htm

As I recall, Elaine has said that this beneficial fungus is pretty
aggressive and doesn't play well with others - it may do the job on a
pathogen but also on other beneficials?

However, it is one possible member of the beneficial community that Jeff may
be trying to grow in his tea, so thought the descriptions of temp and growth
were useful. Also, note that soil conditions that do not favor wild or
biocontrol type Trichoderma are described (too wet; crusted soil - both
leading to lack of oxygen, says the report).

FWIW.

Chris Reid

Yahoo! Groups Links