Re: [compost_tea] sleeping critters

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 23:30:50 -0800 (PST)

A sleeping bear will go without food for 3 to 4 months. Without air for maybe 5 minutes, then dead bear. Bacteria you might "can" for a while but what of the fungi, protozoa, ?
Many have thought of that idea. Maybe the aerobics keep poorly but the anaeobics might thrive. Can you think of a few toxic anaerobs you would not like to be sued for selling?
  Bob

rlbct <rlbct_at_clear.net.nz> wrote:
I've recently been on Elaine's seminar; so packed with info it'll take some
time to get it into my head.
My understanding is that if the critters run out of food they go to sleep
(so the O2 levels should level out high).
OK, so in this condition can we store them in an airtight (or otherwise)
container with the idea of waking them up later by adding food - obviously
in an aerobic environment.
ie: apply to soil directly; or dilute and aerate for a while.
What's the purpose for doing this? The main one would be to be able to
store it - I was thinking of giving it a shelf life for resale actually.

Anyone tried this?
Lynton