Re: [compost_tea] WAS: Another self appointed expert? NOW: Where's the beef?

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:50:16 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Linda Smaltz
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 9:12 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] WAS: Another self appointed expert? NOW: Where's t=
he beef?

Linda:

You must be aware that an ag background is not necessarily a good prerequis=
ite for practices and methodologies that, in many ways, are in total confli=
ct with traditional ag practices. So people are experimenting and learning =
and trying to make something out of a field that is simple on one hand and =
complex on the other. Think of it like playing piano. Yes you can learn i=
n seven days but it will be a while before you can play Chopin. This list,=
 for all it's warts, does offer some practical advice. Yes, like all lists=
, there are list Nazis and trolls and all sorts of people. However, none o=
f these people should affect you or what you post or the people to whom you=
 post.

There are some on this list who have vehement disagreements with me. There=
 are some who abhor the fact that I give brewer designs away becuase they f=
ear it will make their product less attractive. I have bones to pick with =
some of the brewer designers but even the worst of the brewers will brew te=
a.

Now, if we follow your reasoning, bicycle mechanics would never be able to =
fly. "What background have they?" Well, none. It doesn't mean that they =
can't figure out a way to fly that no one else could. All the experts with =
"background" did not fly, two bicycle mechanics did.

Anyone's credintals can be called into question. However, does this refute=
 what they have found? I happen to have a Masters Degree in Music Composit=
ion. Over most of the world, my music (classically based) is known but not=
 in the US. Yet for the last three years, I have been deeply invloved in l=
earning and experimentation all based around compost tea and brewing and bi=
ology. I have worked with the waste water industry and city parks and wine=
ries and on and on. I guess using your criteria, I don't have the backgrou=
nd to do it.

I also have problems with rampant self-advertising but it is the same with =
every list I am on with the exception for the Society of Music Theory which=
 is a professional group with restricted membership.

So lighten up and maybe if you approach this from the position of posting o=
nly something that someone can use such as a technique or finding or report=
 or observation that will help people in their quest, you will have more fu=
n. I had lot's of conflict with Chris Reed and I thought it was only me. =
Well, it was partly me but now I see that Chris seems to thrive on conflict=
. However, that does not invalidate anything she says or the data she comp=
iles. I don't know about her brewing and don't really care. There will be=
 no objectivity on this group because it is not designed that way. This is=
 a group of personal experience.

I had someone write me off list asking for some information. It was a blat=
ant attempt to get some of the information I don't release so they could "k=
nock off" what I was doing. So what? That happens everywhere and is part =
of every list. Why do you think people are on this thing? They are here t=
o get free answers to problems a consultant would charge them $175 per hour=
 to get for the most part. So again, lighten up and smell the tea.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth