Re: [compost_tea] Park Report

From: w.reece speas <wrspeas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:03:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ted , Reece here, thanks again , you haven't been forgot ,i just finished a 2 day seminar and catching up on work , its the middle of march and spring is breaking here lots to do ,anyway i will contact you next week ,thanks again Reece

Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net> wrote:Here is a draft of the report for the projects we did in the park. The City has said I can distribute it with the caveat that it is a draft subject to change. The data stays the same with a couple of warnings:

We did actually demonstrate a water savings of over 40%. However to validate this, it meant exposing problems with city equipment that it would not be in our interest to pursue. I have hard data on _at_ 24% savings over the course of the test period in relation to the same period a year ago.

The concluding points bring out that a managed sustainable approach using compost tea can:

Reduce overall water usage.
Increase plant resistance to drought and disease.
Increase turf health.
Decrease chemical run off into creeks and streams.
Decrease public exposure to chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

All in all the project was successful and shows that a park managed only with compost tea as an input can be healthier and less costly to run than a park using traditional management practices.

I have stripped of the appendicies because they consist of 50 pages of condensed tables of raw data -- that I doubt would interest anyone other than peer reviewers -- and a map of the park. Both are unnecessary to read the report, report conclusions and recommendations.

Enjoy.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth