Re: [compost_tea] composted cow manure on vegetable beds

From: CHARLES BARKER <chuckiebtoo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:31:34 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone:

I'm new to this forum, undoubtedly will be considered an upstart, but my humble observations-the more obvious ones, follow:

1. Lots of passion out there for lots of reasons.
2. Obviously many differing opinions...understandable with the inexactness of the
     subject matter.
3. Maybe some personality clashes....OK, surely some.
4. Lots of good information, dialog, etc.

Healthy debate? Why not? Personal agendas? Why?

I apologize in advance to those taking this the wrong way.

Respectfully,

Charles Barker

wpb_at_sympatico.ca wrote:
Full size dozer eh? Front blade eh? Well the reason I ask is because I'm about to start a testing procedure for turning compost with a dozer. My theory, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that optimum oxygenation with less fungal damage would occur using, say, a Caterpillar 933, or if the pile warrants it a 955, or even a 977 with a 4 in 1 bucket. The reason being that with Caterpillars' low speed, high torque engines, the critcal frequency of the biomass would not be met, thus being less harmful. Now for small compost piles, I won't rule out the possibility of using a D2, or D4 with a straight blade.
Another point to consider is the differential or power turning capabilities of the older Cletrac/Oliver machines, before, and I repeat BEFORE, the take over by Fiat in the late seventies. There are other variable too, like rubber tracks, street pads vs. grousers, hydrasteer...etc. Almost as many variables as the compost itself. Jeez I better get busy. Take care all!!
Bill :-)
Linda Meyer wrote: actually the farm is pretty big and has a pretty big pile, so it was a
full sized dozer with front blade

collaborate, optimize, discuss at
www.allegrosi.com
(www.specctraquest.com)