Re: [compost_tea] Usable Information

From: Stuart Baxter <stu.baxter_at_virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:56:47 -0000

Sorry Jon, I got the compost/water ratio wrong - it should have been about =
1 pound to 5 gallons but I can't find the source, and I seem to remember it=
 was a bacteria selected mix with 1 ounce of molasses as food.

The air quantity I gave is a 'starting' figure and came from a post last Oc=
tober 2nd: -
"> Paul Wagner _at_SFI in NY in personal telecon several months ago said 1L/mi=
n/gallon is air objective (minimum).
>From my experience this seems about right."

About DO meters and anaerobic tea: - "If course, it takes a few hours to ac=
cumulate enough anaerobic metabolites, which we smell as odor, to be able t=
o smell that the brew is anaerobic." Elaine Ingham. 12 October 2003
And the oxygen content is inferred by: - "The thing of concern is transfer =
of oxygen into the water. Oxygen is being used up in the water so rapidly b=
y the microbes that oxygen concentration is dropping to below 5.5 to 6 ppm.=
" Elaine Ingham. 1 November 2003.

I'm sure there are more references that I can't find, like the one about us=
ing brix meters on grapes, but it is a starting point :o)

Be well

Stuart
UK
pile o' bits