Re: [compost_tea] same recipe - compost free in water

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:38:32 -0800

Elaine, et al:

I have done these tests because I do use an extraction pump. I have now tr=
acked tea from the beginning of the brew cycle taking samples every hour. =
I have watched the biomass grow and watched the bacteria grow. I have samp=
led all the way through protozoa eating the bacteria/fungi until the biomas=
s is reduced and there are only bugs and nematodes.

So I have tested a number of times before and after extraction. What I hav=
e found is this:

1. The biomass before extraction is reduced by any pumping system used. An=
 extraction pump or a recirculation pump reduces biomass by about 15 to 20%=
 from batch to batch. If the brew contains nematodes and protozoa, many ar=
e shredded through the extraction process but some still survive.
2. Any sprayer using fresh water to dilute the spray causes a shift in osmo=
tic pressure and many bugs die from that. The action of the spray also shr=
eds any fungi and kills some of the bacteria.
3. Bacterial/fungal mass after spraying -- of the types of sprayers we trie=
d -- was disrupted. However, enough was foliar applied to get results. =

4. After spray with dilution, the dimunition of biomass was in proportion t=
o the dilution. So effective coverage tested less dense. Since there was =
some food left in the tea, there is every reason to expect that some of the=
 bacteria/fungi kept growing on the leaf. This showed during leaf assay. =
UV eventually wiped it all out on upper leaf surface but the biology was st=
ill present on the lower leaf surface after three days.

The bottom line seems to be that any transfer method kills some of the biom=
ass and some of the protozoa. UV wipes out bacterial fungal populations wi=
thin 72 hours but probably sooner if the conditions are correct.

I have brewed and seen nematode growth and was looking for microarthropods =
but never seemed to find them. After picking up a book at a library sale a=
bout plant propagation, I came across a photograph of dilluted soil showing=
 parts of microarthropods. While they can and do exist in compost, it seem=
s that a rapid food change or water change like breweing shreds these thing=
s. When I re-examined some of my brew samples, I was seeing bug parts but =
not whole bugs.

I found an interesting wormlike bug in a sample of reduced compost. We had=
 been attempting to reduce the compost mass and produce a product suitable =
for brewing without the mass of compost. We could then refrigerate the "co=
mpost" extract and put the microbes to sleep. When brewed, the microbes wo=
uld wake up and start multiplying. Anyway, I found these funny segmented w=
orms. Some made up of three and up segments. Ninety-nine percent of them =
were dead but a couple lived. So straining and refrigerating killed off th=
ese worms. It didn't effect the fungal mass or the bacterial growth though=
 and tea brewed with this stuff actually brewed the same as tea with compos=
t but with a longer time. The brewing cycle is typically 72 hours with the=
 biomass really growing in the last 24 hours. I had to come up with a diff=
erent feeding strategy but all in all, this method holds some promise.

Microscopic examination revealed a lot of fungi and rod bacteria. Protozoa=
 were everywhere from little amoebas doing their gig to large swimming wate=
r bears and lots of paramecium (smaller). In difference from other brews, =
I found virtually no stalked cilliates and I attribute this to the lack of =
animal fecal matter in the compost but I am not 100% on this.

We are just starting to use this in soil and I will send the reports when I=
 get them.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth