[compost_tea] Compost tea and mushrooms on lawn

From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:49:33 -0900

There is no question that I have had many more types and numbers of mushroo=
ms in my lawns since applying compost teas and microbe food (I no longer u=
se the antiqued "organic fertilizer") and I have several acres to which man=
y applications of all sorts of teas have been applied.... No doubt many of =
these are 'poisonous.' I have to admit that before I was familiar with the =
soil foodweb, it would have spooked me a bit. Now I look at mushrooms as f=
ascinating organisms and reveal in the diversity that are appearing whereas=
 before there would be a few of one type and then only along a rotting unde=
rground root or bit of construction debris. And, by the way, I am trying =
to remember when any, but an inquisitive teenager or college student went t=
o the hospital for eating one.

You begin to sense the power of compost tea when you can change the composi=
tion of the mushroom population in your yard. And you are right, Hi-yield, =
there is a balance. Too much fungi and the lawn won't do well. Me? I am goi=
ng to ease back on applications a bit this year!

Of course some of these mushrooms are poisonous. If you are concerned Hi-Yi=
eld,that children might eat poisonous mushrooms in your yard, then by all m=
eans take precautions by mowing, raking or keeping them off the lawn! How=
ever, if you have birch trees in Alaska, there will be an association with =
our beautiful, but supposedly deadly, Amanita muscaria. if you are to have =
a healthy tree.

Cheers,

Jeff