Re: [compost_tea] Protozoa question

From: Grant - Environmental Fertilisers <grant_at_environmental-fertilisers.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:21:07 -0800

The protozoa are required to help run the nitrogen cycle as they have a 30:=
1 C:N ratio and bacteria have a 5:1 C:N ratio,hence a protozoa requires to =
eat 6 bacteria to gain its carbon and has 4 surplus nitrogen which then is =
availible for plant growth.Nematodes work the same way but they have a C:N =
ratio of 100:1.
Were looking into using this principle on intensive pastural[dairy farming =
1200milk solids/ha,weve used compost teas every month now for 12 months ,pr=
oving urea as a nitrogen source is no longer needed even under high product=
ion systems] situation in New Zealand in early spring when Nitrogen is a re=
al problem,to see if we cant raise bacteria numbers to high levels and then=
 use either protozoa and or nematodes to release the nitrogen we require.
Will let you know how it goes.
Cant be all bad as 2 of the immediate neighbouring farms are following suit=
e.