Re: [compost_tea] Re: RE: Aerators

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

Kirk, when we introduced a dye to trace the water movement created by the single aerator we found circulation included the entire tank at a good rate. Spreading the air as in a multiple nozzle reduced the circulation. Like a narrow stream runs faster than a wide stream of the same flow Your observation is correct about the activity in the extractor vs the activity in the container. About 100 to one stronger in the extractor. That's why the extractor. To scrub the microbes from the compost.
But once out of the compost we don't want to keep beating on them. Just want to gently give them O2 and let them eat, make love, whatever. But Kirk, thanks for your observation and comment. Bob
Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com> wrote:> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:35:44 -0700
> From: "John Cowan" <vivax_at_northlink.com>
> Subject: RE: Aerators

> Kirk,

> My experience with fused silica stones is that they work OK if you have
> plenty of air and large enough stones. 2.5 cfm can agitate the heck out of
> 55 gals. It might depend on the compost you use. I use 1/8 inch screen
> vermicompost. Bigger stuff might be a somewhat different story.

> John Cowan

John -- Sounds like you're having good luck - how big are they and how about
getting dirty and cleaning? Where did you get them? Didn't say they
wouldn't work, recall, just that I think we can do better. And yeah, you
don't have to do much extracting with 1/8" vermi.

wrote:

> > Your supplemental aerator is wimpy, though. I don't consider it nearly
> > equal to the value of your extractor.

> > Kirk

> What's the diff, Kirk?

Kevin - One is in the extractor, sized well for the tube; the same thing in
an open
tank is not sufficient, imo. Sure the air's going in but the distribution
dynamics are real different. I think you need more than a single, small
nozzle to aerate a
full container.

-- Kirk