[compost_tea] Harvesting castings WASRe: You're no charging enough

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 21:29:16 -0000

---John do you have to screen the entire contents of the box or is
there some tricks to the trade? Like do you sprinkle some favorite
worm food on top and harvest worms in that fraction a little later
and then secondly screen some layer that has most of the castings in
it? Thanks as I know nothing about the process. Dennis

 In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "John Cowan" <vivax_at_n...> wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> I don't know if I understand your question. I raise worms in a 24
c.ft. box
> made out of old plywood. Screen casting with 1/4 then 1/8th inch
mesh
> hardware "cloth". Try to use significant quantity wood-based
material for
> fungal growth. Supplement with kitchen waste, rock powder, soluble
kelp
> powder, and occasionally other stuff. Screened castings last fall
and this
> spring.
>
> John Cowan

Yahoo! Groups Links