Re: [compost_tea] Re: Water Quality

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:22:21 -0700

      John:

      I work a lot with the Wastwater industry and they commonly refer to T=
DS for salts not solids. It seems that the two mean the same thing and I g=
uess it's just a semantical problem. Every citation I can find on the net =
for TDS talks about measuring salts from whatever source. The lab I use fo=
r testing is A & L in Fresno, CA. I asked them about a year ago what TDS =
meant and they said Total Dissolved Salts however, the book they sell to in=
terpret their reports lists TDS as both solids and salts and the index list=
s the same page. So, I'm not as wrong as I thought. That's kind of a reli=
ef.

      You know it is funny because Elaine says the biology will take care o=
f the salts. However I have tests that show that ACT worked as it should, =
the plants are healthier and root systems extended yet the salts are higher=
 in the soil tests.

      Anyway, below is one citation and following your message is another.

      Ted Peterson
      Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth
      Dissolved Salts Meters
      High levels of soluble salts in the soil can be caused by excessive f=
ertilization, insufficient watering, poor drainage, or by some contributing=
 salt water intrusion. High concentrations of soluble salts can inhibit pla=
nt growth and will reduce overall crop yields. Greenhouse plants and other =
sensitive crops may be damaged if soluble salts exceed 2000 ppm.
      Soluble Salts, or Total Dissolved Salts, are measured by means of a C=
onductivity Meter. A conductivity reading measures the capacity of a soluti=
on to conduct an electric current and is directly related to the total ioni=
c concentration of dissolved substances in the solution. Thus, the conducti=
vity reading of a soil extract can be converted into a reading of Total Dis=
solved Salts to indicate combined levels of sulfates, chlorides and other s=
alts in the soil. Extract is prepared using distilled water, not included w=
ith meters.

     Digital TDS Meter

     Waterproof TDS PockeTester 1