Re: [compost_tea] Re: Worms in my ACT

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:23:17 -0700

I have found micronematodes in my tea. These are extracted from the compos=
t. Worms as large as the one you are showing probably are earthworms and y=
ou may be getting them if you use vermicompost with worm eggs in it. They =
could be some other type of worm but the color looks a lot like earthworms.=
  However, I could be misintrepting what you are getting so a few questions=
 might help you and me and others to discern what these are.

Are there different sizes of these worms? Do you use vermicompost? How mu=
ch of the compost is manure? How old is the compost? Do you have worms in=
 your compost? Is you compost on worm-rich earth? How long have you notic=
ed the worms? What do you mean by devouring your biofilm? If you take the=
 worm out and put it in some earth, what does it do? Do you find dead ones=
 in your tea?

Anyway, this may help get a handle on the type of worm you are seeing. Lik=
e I said, I find micronematodes in my tea all the time but they are not too=
 common. I'll get a couple in a sample and I have to brew a long time to s=
ee some real action. These worms eat the bacteria/fungal biomass and diges=
t the amounts in a sample in about 4 to 6 hours. I have watched and timed =
it with observations every 30 minutes. You could have the same thing but I=
 haven't seen them without a microscope. I have seen segmented larvae but =
mostly these are dead.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE