Re: [compost_tea] Re: CTTF Report - Tests

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:44:12 -0700

Steve:

Thanks for the response. Out here we have a group trying to get a sewer pl=
ant put in the center of our little town so I know how screwy things can ge=
t. I thought, after reading the report, that the inputs were the problem a=
nd that plain compost brewed was acceptable. However, the inputs that can =
be used in compost are the same that would be used during brewing. So my f=
eeling was that use the inputs in the compost and then brew.

I also understand the idea that some people would be brewing without proper=
 safeguards. However, I can go down to my local nursery or hardware store =
and buy a pesticide that is far more toxic and potentially harmful than a f=
ew pathogens and use it as freely as I want. If I want to buy 1000 gallons=
 of the stuff, I can and I will be able to wreck havoc on my and my neighbo=
r's land. I really think that the rules governing brewing and use of teas =
are related to the "worst case scenario" when, in fact, the worse case scen=
ario is continued use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

Don't get me wrong. You get an infestation, whack it with a pesticide. I'=
m not against them. I am against using pesticides as a preventative which i=
s how many are now used. ACT is a preventative. The rules that cover it's=
 use should not be more stringent than those already covering far more dang=
erous materials and it appears that is the case. You can only safeguard pe=
ople so far. We know from the human experience that if something can be mi=
sused, it will regardless of the safeguards or rules of proper use.

As for testing and test platforms:

I and, I'm sure, others would be glad to conduct research and produce verif=
iable data. Get some grant money lined up and put out some requests. I do=
n't know about others but I am running one or more "experiments" all the ti=
me. Most I do to develop knowledge and, in the long run, clients. I could=
 line up at least three separate and distinct tests that could be used to s=
how that ACT can be used to control pathogens. I have three WWTPs of diffe=
rent input levels. (By this I mean the untreated sewage they process is dis=
tinctly different because each in in a different economic envirnoment.) And=
 we can compost at each and determine how tea works in each situation.

Where I live, I have Ag, (lots of strawberries $23B per year, broccoli and =
beans), apple and other orchards and lots of vinyards (second largest crop)=
. We have a cross section of organic, sustainable and conventional growers=
. We also have a bunch of greenhouse operations that grow anything from orn=
amentals to veggies.

So, as far as CA goes, this would be a great test area. I'm sure the guys =
in WA and TX have something similar as are any brewers in GA, NC and other =
places on the East coast.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE