[compost_tea] Re: Perceived risk of food-related hazards

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncat.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:43:52 -0000
Ted -

The CTTF does not talk about additives to "compost."

The CTTF does not require farmers to test composts,
per se.

The CTTF says that compost substrate for compost
teas should be NOP compliant OR be made according
to the more flexible guidelines set forth by
NOSB Compost Task Force.  Both of these specify
compost guidelines to meet PFRP's for time &
temperature.  Thus, it presumes that such compost
substrates used to make compost tea are of good
enough quality -- based on PRFP -- that pathogens
will not be a concern.

That's your first step.  Use A-OK compost substrate
to make A-OK compost tea.

The CTTF says that compost teas made with compost
tea additives (molasses, kelp, yucca extract, rock
dust) can be used without restriction if the batch
process is duplicate tested and the results are A-OK.

The term used without restriction can be put into
perspective.  It simply means that the 90/120 DBH
rule does not apply if the compost tea is made
according to the guidelines set forth.

This means that compost teas meeting the guidelines
can be foliar applied to a transplant to boost
plant health or foliar applied to the growing crop
to enhance disease suppression, etc.

By comparison, see CTTF #7 and #8:

7. Raw manure extracts or teas may be applied to the
soil with a 90/120 day pre-harvest restriction, foliar
applications are prohibited.

8. Compost leachate may be applied to the soil with a
90/120 day pre-harvest restriction, foliar applications
are prohibited.

The CTTF is geared to certified organic production
under the NOP.

Obviously if a farmer or gardener is not certified
organic, then these suggested guidelines do not apply.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the compost
tea stakeholders can use these CTTF guidelines as a
working framework for testing and verification of
modern ACTs, to authenticate efficay as well as
safe use.

The parameters that would clarify modern ACTs
might include: percent oxygen, molasses concentration,
temperature, vol:vol ratio of compost to water,
extraction period, foodweb structure, integrated
microbial antagonists and microbial mutualists, etc.

That's why I said it opens doors of opportunity
for research.  Grant applications can use the
CTTF as a point of reference to emphasize compost
tea research as a high priority topic in organics.

Best regards,
Steve Diver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Ted Peterson" <ted.peterson@t...>
wrote:
> Steve:
>
> Does the compost also need to be tested?  Are there guidelines for
compost inputs?  It seemed when I read the report that additives to
the compost were acceptable but not acceptable if added to the tea.
What you indicate below is great.  It should be possible to test two
independent batches and I wouldn't even mind having to test once per
year.  However, we are talking about certification for organic use
aren't we?  Or is this for general distribution of ACT?

> Ted Peterson
> EW/SOE

Yahoo! Groups Links