Re: [compost_tea] Re: metal chelates-application rates

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:37:05 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ericgoodenough
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 6:16 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] Re: metal chelates-application rates

  International Ag Labs notes that our soils are deficient in copper
  and manganese. Recommendation: 10# copper sulfate and 10# manganse
  sulfate applied to soil, ideally in fall.

Tea is not a cure-all. Even if tea would supply the biology that would bal=
ance the soil as happend in my test case, you may not want to wait. Howeve=
r, when you have the correct biology in the soil, traditional measurements =
don't necessarily give the whole story. Our soil showed that we needed cer=
tain inputs but plant assays showed as if the soil had adequate minerals fo=
r plant health. This night be because the correct biology works differentl=
y than one would think. In other words, with correct biology, the plants g=
et the nutrients they need even though they don't show up in the soil in am=
ounts that traditional practice says is necessary. So what do your plant a=
ssays say?

If I was on a time crunch, as you are, I would add the necessary ingredient=
s but would not add them as part of my tea. I would set up separate schedu=
les to add the chelates and a separate schedule to add the tea. That way i=
f anything goes on, you will be able to more closely find where the problem=
 occured. If you mix everything and something goes wrong, you may never fi=
nd what caused the problem.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE