Re: [compost_tea] Several Subjects (Sorry Jeff & Doc...) Mostly aeration...

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:06:54 -0700

Yes, micro bubblers are problematic. Some are so fine that your can't real=
ly see the diffusion. It looks like a heat mirage. I haven't seen any res=
earch about bubbles that are too small damaging critters. That is interest=
ing. Can you post the info? I have used sleeves and have one brewer that =
uses that design. They last about two years of constant use. I replace th=
em for free. I instruct people who use them to take them out of the brewer=
 while the air is on then wash them off. I haven't found any other cleanin=
g problem but I have had people leave them in a brewer after brewing for as=
 long as a week and like anything else, that causes problems.

I use linear pumps because they are easier to clean and maintain. It's muc=
h easier to replace a diaphram than a vane system and less expensive. Ther=
e are linear pumps that will aerate up to 500G and they work fine and cost =
less than the vane models. Also, they are quieter and I personally like th=
at. If I have a remote application that needs more air, I simply get more =
than one pump.

Check out the aeration pumps for Waste Treatment ponding systems. You may =
be surprised at how versatile they are. For really big brewers, which I do=
n't like anyway for a number of reasons, they work well. Gast makes good v=
ane pumps by the way.

Other than that, good summation and description.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE
   ACT pumps need to be able to
  handle a little back pressure, as in the water they're pushing into...
  Rotary vane pumps seem to be the best value for large volumes. Am I stuc=
  in a Gast hole or what?

  Gotta shutup. Point is to get a good air pump and put it into the bucket
  well. The challenge of good compost is probably greater. And let's show
  USDA how stupid they are being on compost tea. I actually think bad comp=
ost
  might still be used to make good compost tea.

  I appreciate feedback on any of these questions, thoughts and hypotheses.
  Forward hoe!

  -- Kirk

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor