RE: [compost_tea] Comfrey OFF TOPIC..

From: Mike Benton <compost_at_mweb.co.za>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:51:55 +0200
Greetings all
I See comfrey as an important material to include in the compost .Up till
now I have not dried any to a flour and added it to a tea but later this
year when we have enough then I will play with it some more.By then I should
be able to send it to the  new lab : }To get rid of comfrey a couple off
suggestions from Mr Hills 1 dig up every last little bit and feed to live
stock.2 Or Tether a pig next to the plant and keep him on short rations
until he does the work for you 3 Ammonium Nitrate as a herbcide.He was
writing in the sixties so many newer herbicides where not about.
Comfrey has great value as stock feed just watch the varity as some have
higher level of allatonin which some studies have found to be cancer
forming.
LD hills maintains there is no higher method of producing protein on land
than by farming comfrey and harvesting it often.I recall a figure of over
200 tons wet an acre a year.He was a supporter of organic ag and started the
Henry Doubleday research institute to support his work on comfrey.If there
was ever a wonder plant comfrey is it.

Regards
Mike Benton
Compost Technologies
mike_at_composttea.co.za      mobile 0823345371

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links