[compost_tea] Re: Microscope training course...

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:47:41 -0000
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> Hi Thomas -
>
> Grin!  You need to buy your own lunch.
>
> The course will be at the Corvallis lab in Oregon.
>
> The course is a half day intensive instruction in how to use the
microscope, how to focus the condenser light on hte sample, how to do
the shadowing method needed to increase contrast, and how to
recognize all the "stuff" in the tea samples.  Well, we'll start that
process.  I don't know all the stuff in compost or tea, after 30
years of staring at soil, compost and tea.

> More grins!

I'm grinning;sort of smiling!  How many hours  is this course? Have
you decided which day, 28th or 4th?
     Anybody driving thru Kansas to attend? If so let me know.  I'll
drive some and cover some of the gas. Probably 32 hours of driving
from here. Guess I'll get the map to Corvalis!  Dennis

> The course starts at 8 am on Friday May 28, or Friday June 4.  If
there is more demand, we'll add more courses.

> You have to sign up in advance for the course.
>
> We limit class size.  You want one-on-one interaction.  That's the
way to do this.

> So, afer training you how to do the methods, then we look at good
tea, bad tea, ok tea, WOW tea, tea you bring, so you learn what the
critters look like.

> Bring your digital cameras too.  Make sure they are 3 X optical
zoom.

> The afternoon will be practice time - whatever you want to look at,
and ask questions about.  We end at 5 pm, but you could leave anytime
you feel you have picked up the method.

> There will be a manual, with a standard curve in it, to show you
what bad, good and great tea is.

> Prerequisite is a sincere interest in quality compost tea and how
to make quality compost tea.

> We'll probably give some demo on how to look at your compost as
well.  Again, you can't get all the info you need, but it can give
you some great hints about if you are going the right way.  You will
need to confirm with the full testing with SFI, but you will be able
to see, instantly, how you will be using this to monitor tea quality,
and perhaps compost quality.  EACH BATCH.

> Soil is not something that you can do with this microscope - you
have to have the $25,000 scope to work with soil.

> Activities, protozoa, nematodes, and mycorrhizal colonization still
needs to be done with the lab.  And confirm what you are seeing with
the lab too.  The ability to take pictures is necessary too.

> Elaine Ingham
> President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
> SFI Corvallis, OR
> SFI Port Jefferson, NY