[compost_tea] Re: a bad ACT experience(possible)

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:57:48 -0000
Hello Judi,
I till in organic matter, sometimes "green cover crop", sometimes dry
matter from previous crop,  and usually a blend of both. This weekend
I was able for first time ever, to plant a row crop (sweet corn) and
beside the seed add compost and limestone(screened thru 1/2 inch hail
screen) thru the fertilizer box  of a 50 year old planter(I can't
afford the new great plains hi tech $5000 used planters which MIGHT
also work). I had gone over that field earlier this spring to rotary
mow dead previous crop residue, to chisel, to pull a mulch treader
and then to disc. Lots of time , fuel and labor too, cause all my
eqpt is narrow, as in 7 to 11 feet..I like to add ACT to green cover
crop or crop/weed residue which has just been partially tilled under
(before exposed green turns brown).Dennis Kemnitz

In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Judi Stewart" <js@o...> wrote:
> I'd a refresher:  what are some of the other microbe foods people
are
> using other than
> compost and those mentioned here.  Is the organic matter being top
> dressed, tilled in, etc?  Is there an
> optimum time period to add matter before compost tea application?

> Thanks,

> Judi

> Lois,
> What I meant was that applying compost tea is part of a total
> system....you also need to add organic material, often in the form
of a
> microbe food like soy bean meal or blood meal to keep your team of
> microbes going!

> If you just put tea down, you are only getting part of its benefit.

> Cheers,

> Jeff
>

> *

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor