Re: [compost_tea] Re: chelating minerals with ACT

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:40:36 -0400
when you make an EM ferment, initially the organisms grow so rapidly, they use up the oxygen, and the facultative organisms then begin to grow.

And mycorrhizal fungi can survive just fine as spores in anaerobic conditions.  Especially if there are no humic acids around - they won't germinate and start to grow as they will in aerobic compost tea.

The longer you let an EM ferment go, the slower the growth of the organisms, until the organisms aren't using up the oxygen anymore, because they aren't growing.

The ferment then returns to aerobic oxygen concentrations, and there is no detrimental effect of the ferment to plants, at least that I have seen.  Maybe people out there have other experiences, and that's the info we need to have - what are the conditions that always give us good effects, what are the conditions that always result in not-beneficial effects.

Need to get those figured out.  So, with your brews, what are the conditions that always result in good plant growth?  Have you ever seen not-beneficial effects?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY