[compost_tea] Re: Mycorrhizal spores on market

From: Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:59:47 -0000
Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the info. Any experience with Bio-organics miccorhizal
innoculants? They advertise on their website a product which can be
applied in a drench. I have had some good results with Myke which is
produced by Premier and has ecto & endo but has a very coarse
carrier and can only be used in the soil and not mixed with tea,
which is what I wish to try. I have some old growth forest nearby
and thought of putting some soil from the forest floor in my next
brew but as you point out the pump will destroy any growing fungi. A
BC company called Advanced Nutrients makes a soil drench product
with Myc and trichoderma, however I have had a bad experience with
trichoderma on leaf surfaces; some weird deformities, so I want to
avoid it. I'll check out the products you mentioned.

Regards,
Titel

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> Mycorrhizal spores nearly always come with a carrier, because the
spores are
> microscopic and easily lost on their own.
>
> Most carriers are pretty inert - like clay or cellulose.
>
> Mycorrhizal Applications makes a great product, always comes out
high on
> testing they do.  They have a good research component too.
>
> Plant Health Care is more variable in the results we see from
them.

> Other companies that take product from both of the above and re-
package
> typically are fairly variable in results too.  So, please make
sure you ask for
> their test results - and not just one test!  You need to see
testing occurring
> over time, with good consistency.
>
> Many mycorrhizal products are not tested, and other than anecdotal
> information on their websites, you don't have any solid
information on their
> performance.  Always a bit iffy, but you can read the testimonial
information and try to
> assess whether the information is just fluff, or some solid
evidence that the
> product works.  You should call the people in the testimonials.
>
> On one "tea machine" website, the testimonials are all from
relatives of the
> person making the machine.  Snort - but it does tell me what I
want to know.

> There's another site that I have to laugh at  - the compost tea
machine
> seller shows ONE test from a plate count lab, and ONE test from a
direct count lab.
>  That doesn't tell you anything more than ONCE they were able make
an ok tea.
>  How many tests did they have to go through to get those "decent"
results?

> What about routine tea production - what about on the second run?
the third
> run?  They won't show you data from anything except the first tea
run -
> because while the first run looks ok, the second isn't so good,
then the third is
> poor, the fourth has no decent biology to speak of, and .....
>
> As a buyer of any product, you should be able to expect to be
given
> information about performance of the product with time.  You
should be able to get
> names of people who have bought the product, that are not
associated with the
> company
>
> Testimonials from the person selling the product don't count.
People not
> associated with the company, who, when you call or e-mail them,
can tell you
> exactly what they think without getting a kick-back from the
company, without
> being punished by the company for telling the truth.
>
> Reputable products have data from many production runs on their
websites.
> Not- reputable products show only one piece of data, because they
can't repeat
> that one success.
>
> Mycorrhizal Applications makes a consistently good product.
That's what
> impresses me.
>
> Any product manfacturer has to first show me data that shows they
can at
> least once make what they claim, but then they also need to show
me their product
> consistently can perform.
>
> Elaine R. Ingham
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
> Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
> Soil Foodweb Institue Cambridge, New Zealand
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Hilversum, The Netherlands
> Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links