Re: [compost_tea] High Nitrate levels in water

From: Vida na Terra <vida-na-terra_at_oninet.pt>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:07:07 +0100

Dr. Elaine,

At present sugar beet producers are having big problems as they are produci=
ng alot of tonnage but with little sugar with the added problems of the pes=
t attacks also due to high Nitrates.
We have some areas here in Portugal with 200 ppm of Nitrate in bore hole wa=
ter, if we apply CT and keep irragating with this water.
Should we add molasses to the irrigation water ? Will the soil organisms ac=
t as a filter for Nitrates reducing the leaching and in turn feeding the pl=
ant as per her needs ? Do we run the risk of lack of oxygen in the soil ?

Regards
Joao Ventura
Vida na Terra, Lda.