Re: [compost_tea] Re: fungal or bacT dominant plants

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:32:23 -0400
In a message dated 7/12/2004 7:39:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "dkemnitz2000" <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com> writes:

How about eastern red cedar,osage orange and
>chinese elm trees? They seem to grow real well here in KS in pastures
>and almost like weeds in untilled fields. Is it they would grow in
>either fungal or bacT dominant soil? Dennis Kemnitz

Cedar - most likely VERY fungal.

Osage orange - shrub or tree?  What is it's natural habitat?  Where does it grow in nature?

Chinese elm?  Same questions - you need to understand the natural habitat it grows in in order to figure out what it needs, OR you need to do some testing to figure out what the plant makes it's root system.  Whenever we disturb the ecosystem, we alter what the plant is trying to maintain in the root system, so if you want to know what is normal for the plant, test a plant that has not been obviously disturbed - which includes herbicides, fertilizers, etc - for some time.

I would guess that all three species you ask about are fungal dominated, but the osage would be more slightly fungal, the elm about 10:1, and the cedar 50:1

OK?

Elaine

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here