[compost_tea] Re: NOP Sprouts

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:38:59 -0700
David -- Clearly you know more than I about sprouts and the NOP issues
around them.  Appreciate the info.  I know there is an effort to get
hydroponics supported by NOP but I'm not informed about that.  I think
hydroponics may be an excellent organic method, thus my curiousity about
compost tea and sprouts.  CTTF recommendation #9 doesn't make sense on its
face.

One among many of the conversations I enjoyed at the ICTC event Friday was
with a wheat grass grower who'd used  vermicompost teas to "fertigate" them.
He said Johns Hopkins U had confirmed a protein content in his products 50%
above normal, no problems just better wheat grass food for cancer
recoverers.

I never imagined compost tea as a food additive...

> Third, CT is not an approved food additive. You are basically adding 3
> day old CT directly into the food supply.

I don't get this.  What does "3 day old CT directly into the food supply"
mean?  How does that happen?

And how does CT used in growing sprouts become a food additive?

If all you need is clean water to grow sprouts, great.  If compost teas help
make better products, which I suspect is the case, that's even better.  A
ban on any form of CT with sprouts seems inappropriate.

-- Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links