Re: [compost_tea] Building a Brewer

From: John Stoughton <yooperjon66_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:01:32 -0700 (PDT)

jackarias <gcolby1_at_san.rr.com> wrote:This topic is very near and dear to me.

Instead of using 3/4" pipe why not use 1/2"? Also instead of making
only an "X" for the airflow to get in the center it seems to me that
in addition to the "X" it would be easy to put a "T" connetor on
each end of each part of the "X" and then using the 1/2" PVC to the
flexible 1/2" drip adapter one could make a complete circle around
the edge of the trash can using the flexible 1/2" drip tubing around
the outside of the center cross "X". My hope is that there would be
no dead spots on the edges but maybe this is overkill and
unnecessary. (The adapter is a donut shaped circle that fits inside
the 1/2" connector with a more narrow opening that holds the
flexible drip supply line using friction. They cost about $0.30 each
at an irrigation supply store.)

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions or arguments against
this idea.

I am using a 30 gal bucket with a shop vacume to blow air through
the system. It is putting out a lot of air so I bleed off much of
the air flow. I initially tried soaker hose but I felt the bubbles
are too small so then I burned holes every 2" along the soaker hose.
Also the soaker hose will absorbe water and I fear biofilm in
the long run. Another drawback with the soaker hose is that it has
no regidity so it is more difficult to space it around the bottom of
the 30 gal. trash barrel even with weights.

With the last batch of AACT I brewed I put in the amount of humus
that ALASKAN HUMAS recommends in additon to the fungal compost but
rather than putting it in bags I reasoned it would work better to
leave it loose and strain it before I applied it. When I was done
with the brew there was a lot of "sludge" in the center of the
bucket and I'm concerned that it could easily go anaerobic unless I
get air moving in the center of the bucket as well as around the
outside. My original thought was that the rolling water would mix
everything well but that was not the case.

I'm get a digital camera tomorrow and I would be happy to supply
images if it would help to troubleshoot my homemade system. I
started with the KIS 5 gal. brewer but I want to make much more at a
time and I don't have the $$$$ funds for the 28 gal. system they
offer.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Jack ,

I too thought about useing a soaker hose but would have to drive a hundred miles for it. I like the idea of bleeding off the extra air and will use an extra piece of pipe off the X from the bottom and put some type of adjustable vent on the top of it.

Send pics they can always be useful. Thanks Jon