Re: [compost_tea] Re: fungal or bacT dominant plants

From: David Anderson <danderson_at_backpackgeartest.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:44:10 -0700
Jeff Lowenfels wrote:

> Doc,  you wrote<  But bacterial biomass is highest of any ecosystem in
> these old growth forests.  It's just that fungal biomass is much, much
> higher. >  This doesn't make sense. Did you mean the bacterial NUMBERS
> are higher but the biomass of fungi is higher?

What she wrote makes sense to me. She is not comparing the bacterial to
fungal biomass, she is comparing bacterial to bacterial and fungal to fungal

farm field - 2 bacteria, 1 fungi
old growth - 20 bacteria, 200 fungi

Of course they are made up numbers, but they should work for this. She
is saying that you will not find any terrestrial ecosystem with a
bacterial number higher than 20. Even though the bacteria is the highest
that it is anywhere, the fungi goes up by an even higher margin and
gives a higher fungal ratio.

Hopefully that helps.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor