Re: [compost_tea] Re: fungal or bacT dominant plants

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:09:34 -0400
You are correct when it comes to bacterial biomass.  Generally there are 600 million bacetria per gram soil in ag soils, while there are 6,000 million per gram in forest soils.  Only a ten-fold increase, while fungi go from 5 ug per gram to 5,000 ug per gram, from ag to forest.

But when doing plate counts, very often there is no change in numbers of colony forming units going across production gradients in ag soils.  So, scientists have assumed that means all soils have pretty much all bacteria, all the time.  Just an artefact of the method, I'm afraid.

Elaine

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.