Re: [compost_tea] tropical soils

From: David Anderson <danderson_at_backpackgeartest.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:38:17 -0700
soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:
> Consider that in a prairie soil in Kansas, the microbial biomass in the soil is equal to something like 2.5 buffalo standing on the same area.
>
> Yep, the microbes in the soil are more "important" biomass-wise than buffalo.

But the buffalo still wins on a biomass/species basis. <grin>

Even if you were to subtract the weight of the microbes in the buffalo's
anaerobic bioreactor I think that it would still win out.

The only reason that I even thought of that "per species" was that I
just read the interesting bit of trivia that the geoduck clam is the
creature with the highest biomass in the Puget Sound. Even though there
is more plankton, there is no individual species that even comes close.

Just more useless trivia brought to you by someone thinking about that
-3.5 tide tomorrow morning, and wondering how good crushed clam shell is
at adding calcium to the soil.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here