Re: [compost_tea] Re: more on soil chemistry facts & USNOP

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:02:08 EDT

Ah, Kirk -

Did not say all nutrients are available everyehere. Ouch!

 I believe Doc E when she says all "nutrients"
are available everywhere and am not surprised to hear about supplements that
solve problems quickly.

what I said was that every soil we have examined contains enormous amounts of
total nutrients. These nutrients are not available to plants in their
current form, which is why you have to have the organisms present in the right
ratios for the plants you want. The biology will make these nutrients available to
the plants, generally at rates the plants require, because plants provide
foods to keep the organisms performing their functions.

You have to feed the organisms properly through the times that plants are
dormant, so you need to add compost, or compost tea to keep them happy.

The CTTF report should be considered by hte NOSB at their next meeting.

The Cornell On-Farm Composting Manual is a relaly good place for info on C:N.
 Probably the Rodale composting book would have info too. Otherwise, check
the ATTRA website....

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institue Cambridge, New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., Hilversum, The Netherlands
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho