Re: [compost_tea] Thank you and a question (Was) newbie intro and question

From: bsmith <bsmith1953_at_usadatanet.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:41:52 -0400
What is composting  aerobically? I compost 3 ways right now.
Vermicompost, Bin compost for leaves and yard waste , and I have an
Earth Machine (TM).
Thanks for the great tips.. I can do that easily.. I have the bucket and
the air pump already.. What is fish hydrolyzate?  I keep tropical fish
tanks with under gravel filters. I clean the gravel occassionally and
get rich dark brown  waste that I know is teaming with Good bacteria or
my tanks would go bad from excess nitrogen and ammonia .   Would seaweed
from the shore work in place of kelp meal? I have free access to this in
small quanities a 45 minute drive away.  Thanks again

soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:

>Hi Smitty -
>
>you have heard right.  You just want to make certain to actually compost
>things you collect from the wild before using them on your land.
>
>So, compost aerobically. Add additional inocula from anywhere you can find
>good fungi.
>
> Do you want to do worm composting, or thermal composting?
>
>Compost tea - get a 5 gal bucket.  Tygon tubing from the aquarium store, plus
>the biggest air pump from the aquarium store.  For like a 100 gal tank.
>
>Put a wire in the tygon tubing, so it goes around in a swirl.  Plug one end
>with a cork, or plastic plug.  Use a heated metal rod, diameter about 1 mm
>(wire hanger) to punch holes in the tygon tubing.  The other end of the tubing
>connects up to the pump.
>
>Put about 1 pound of the compost in a paint sprayer bag, along with a couple
>ping pong balls, or fish floats, and let the brew go for about 24 hours.  A
>few ounces of fish hydrolyzate, or humic acid, plus a few ounces of kelp, will
>add foods to help the good guy organisms.
>
>OK?
>
>Elaine R. Ingham
>Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
>Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
>Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
>Soil Foodweb Institue Cambridge, New Zealand
>Soil Foodweb Inc., Hilversum, The Netherlands
>Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
>Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links