[compost_tea] RE: Re: Re: Another Newbie & Vermicompost

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:57:07 -0700
> What is CTTF?
>
> Douglas Larson
> Bothell, Washington

Sorry, Douglas.  I thought everybody might know from recent posts.  CTTF
stands for Compost Tea Task Force, a committee of 13 knowledgeable persons,
including Doc E and Steve D.  Under the auspices of the US National Organic
Standards Board, they published a report on compost tea in April 2004.  The
report, and the tea "parsing" suggestions, is available at
http://www.ams.usda.gov/nosb/meetings/CompostTeaTaskForceFinalReport.pdf.
It's a good, short read on compost teas.

Beware, however, the alarm there, as evidenced by the raw manure appendix.
USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) and its National Organic
Program (to which NOSB is "advisory") seem to have a vested interest in
foisting alarm about compost teas.  They currently regard all compost teas
as raw manure no matter how they are made or what they are made from.  This
is another subtle reason we need a new president.

And Bruce/Smitty, you absolutely can use vermicompost for teas.  Many people
use it
exclusively, for non-aerated, nutrient teas, and many use it in ACT recipes
(Aerated Compost Tea... I don't use AACT, because a stirred tea is also
actively aerated, just not as well...).

Vermicompost is really good for compost teas.  Go for it.

There is another thing with USNOP I must mention here:  Did you know there
is no such thing, officially, as vermicompost under the US National Organic
Program?  As absurd as that sounds, it's true.

Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada